Online Data Security
The October edition of Maximize Demosphere focused on Online Data Security and is featured below. Click to download a copy of the slides in PDF format. The slides are available to view as well with no narration.
During the session, we discussed a comprehensive list of online security items to keep in mind.
- What Is Data Security Is This Important? In simple terms, protecting your data, ensuring your privacy, and preventing the loss or corruption of data is the basis for data security. Without this security, you can be vulnerable to scams, fraud, and even identity theft.
- Online Security Measures. We then turned our attention to online areas to be aware of as you submit data online.
- Data Encryption. Make sure sites you deal with encrypt their data - you'll see a little lock icon on your browser. 128-bit encryption is industry-standard.
- PCI Compliance. Payment Card Industry (PCI) standards are in place to maintain a secure network and protect cardholder data. Demosphere (and its credit card processing partners) are PCI compliant. This is important!
- User Authentication. When accessing data on a website, a password is normally required. Choose a strong password - do not use a real word and do not include any personal information. There are even sites that can generate strong passwords for you!
- Backup Solutions. At home or within your business or organization, keeping a backup is important. There is always a risk of disk failure, a virus, security breach, or otherwise. Always have a safe copy of your data that is easily accessible - whether it be on-site, off-site, or web-based in the cloud.
Overall, the session provided a comprehensive look at a number of important security concerns and ongoing issues/policies to monitor.
We hope you can join us for a future session!