Competition Format Best Practices
The August edition of Maximize Demosphere focused on Competition Format Best Practices and is featured below. Click to download a copy of the slides in PDF format. The slides are available to view as well with no narration.
During the session, we discussed the variety of options available and the pros/cons of each one.
- Why Is This Important? When evaluating events, teams closely review competition formats to make sure they're in line with expectations. Amongst different competitiveness levels, expectations differ greatly, so offering a format that suits teams is of paramount importance.
- Multiple Formats Available. A variety of formats exist for use with your events.
- Round Robin. Probably the largest and most common variety, round robin events have a number of permutations that can be used - round robin only (no playoffs), round robin + championship, and round robin + seeded playoffs.
- Elimination. Can be either single or double elimination.
- Time/Field Based. More of a recreational format involving playing as much as possible based on available times and fields.
- Available Options. Once a format is chosen, a variety of settings exist to further customize the event (or divisions within the event).
- Matchup Structures. Demosphere offers over 400 "tie patterns" to plug-and-play various matchup structures per division.
- Division Formats. In the case of soccer events, is the division for 8v8 or 11v11 play? This may determine what size field is necessary.
- Display Options. Within each age group, are there conferences? Conferences and division? How do you want to display them to the general public?
Overall, the session is extremely beneficial for anyone who runs an event - especially those who have never thought twice about why their games are structured the way they are! We hope you can join us for a future session!